USS Colorado Virginia Class Submarine
- 1st successful submarine, USS Holland, purchased by the Navy in 1900
- In WW II sank 5.3M tons Japanese shipping severely impacting flow of war materials. Had about 250 submarines by end of war. Some 16000 sailors conducted 1700 war patrols. This force, representing less than 2% of the Navy, accounted for 55% of the Japanese maritime losses.
- 52 submarines did not return, with a loss of over 3400 lives.
- 1st nuclear submarine USS Nautilus commissioned in 1955. Now our entire sub fleet is nuclear.
- At height of cold war U. S. had about 100 attack subs and 41 missile subs
This entry was posted in USS COLORADO
. Bookmark the permalink